Friday, June 16, 2006

Arizona With The Parents - No Camping This Time!

Arizona With the Parents - But No Truck Camper
Sedona, Arizona in a Timeshare
Sasha and I decided that this would probably be our last plane ride for a while as we are giving up the credit card that accumulates points for flying and going to a credit card that offers cash back. We figure we take less than one flying trip a year for pleasure, and we really have no desire to go to places that need to be flown to, as we can take our truck camper to the sea and mountains and everywhere in between.

We had originally planned to take a sabbatical 3 month vacation for this year early in 2005 and had told my parents that we would be gone April through June 2006. So they though we might need a break from camping and might want to head over to Sedona, Arizona for a week. At that time, we thought OK. So they booked a timeshare in 2005 for a place in Sedona, Arizona, trading some of their time and vacation for a two bedroom, two bath suite at Los Abrigados Resort and Spa.

Well, we did not go on the sabbatical this year, or at least, not yet. We might go on a 5 week vacation, but as of yet, we are not sure. So, since my parents would have to pay serious money to get out of the vacation, we decided, hey let's go and check out Sedona, as neither Sasha or I had ever been there. What follows is a diary of sorts of the first day (Flying) and then the log of pictures. There are a couple of hundred of photos, as both my dad and I took them. I won't have duplicates but the area is so unbelievable, we had to get as many as we could. I will try to give descriptions where needed but most of the pictures speak for themselves. And they will go in order from the first day to the last day, so you might have to scroll down to see all. And if there is any picture you want to see in close up or in higher resolution, just click on the picture. Thanks for looking,
Laura-n-Sasha.com
Daily Log of Sedona Arizona with the parents

Day 1 Saturday May 27, 2006 from Sterling VA to Sedona, AZ

Getting ready and the airport ride

Sasha and I got ready for the airport ride to National Airport. We were going National because Midwest flew out of that one, not Dulles. Sasha had set up a pickup ride yesterday and we decided we needed to be picked up around 8:30am as we figured it would take about 1 hour in line at the airport and at least an hour in security. We had packed the day before so all we needed was to get up, shower, eat and lock everything.

We got a call around 8:15 from the driver who stated he was going to be a little late. But I had figured this might be the case, which is why I wanted an earlier time. He finally arrived closer to 9 am. We had forgotten about the 10K race here at Cascades and there were a lot of people running! Then the race to the airport began!

Our driver was not from around where we live, as he did not know how to get to the toll road from our house. So Sasha told him how to go. He also thought Potomac Mills was close to our house - totally wrong, but again, if you do not know the area, you might think it is close. So as we were driving down Route 7 on the way to the Dulles Toll Road, a light was beginning to change from Green to Red, and he gunned it however, the driver in front slowed, so he passed on the right and blasted his horn. At that point I put on the seat belt. (I was in the back and did not think it was necessary.) When we got to the Toll Road, he went through the toll gate (the area where you have the easy pass, and did not pay - I was a little shocked, as I pay for it each time. But Sasha stated that it has been in the news that the cameras at the toll booth (at least at that one) are fake and do not take pictures of non-paying vehicles. If that is the case, why should I have to pay? Here a corporation - does not pay - why should I; just because I am honest, I pay.

Anyway, we got to the airport at 9:30, Sasha gave him a tip and we went into the terminal, thinking at least we got here early enough, we could wait in a couple of lines. BUT as we walked into the terminal, it was practically empty. Only two other groups were ahead of us at the Midwest Check-In Counter! After the check out counter we went to security and again, no line! We took off our shoes, and went through security very quickly and got to the gate at 10am. What to do? I started switching the pictures and images from Laura-n-Sasha.com site from 1and1.com to Blogger, checked emails and Sasha read.

At 11:30 we got on the plane- Gorgeous seats - leather and wide with great head rests and lots of space. I read my book club book Beach House by James Patterson and Sash read Your Money or Your Life (see books we are reading). They handed out chocolate chip cookies, drinks and pretzels and I thought this is a good airline.

We got into the airport 10 minutes early (having left 5 minutes early) and then had to wait 3.5 hours for the next leg of the flight. Sash got us something to eat and he had his half at the airport, but I decided to wait as I was working well.

We got onto the next plane - boy, what a difference, I guess this is why we are not going to be flying anymore. The plane looked old, and the seats were not leather, nor very big. But we were still two across and the flight was not full. I had my lunch, they came around with snacks, drinks and cookies, and I read “The Beach House” by James Patterson. Actually finished the book, it was such a quick read. Don’t know what I will read on the way back.

We got to Phoenix early, so we got our bags and called up Mom & Dad and they came and picked us up (they were practically there as well.)

We drove to Sedona, getting gas on the way. Mom and Dad had driven down to Sedona when their plane had come in, because they wanted to know where we were staying and to get the room earlier. We are staying at Los Abrigados Resort and Spa - a hotel and timeshare place. It is right next to Tlaquepaque - shopping, restaurants and art galleries area that is all enclosed.

So we drove back down from Phoenix to Sedona and got to the place around 7:30 pm. We dropped off our bags and went over to Oak Creek Brewery and Grill to get something to eat. They make great beer at Oak Creek and the food was good but the people clearing the plates kept trying to take away our still full plates. It was very annoying. And the waitress was telling us about the deserts while I was still eating dinner. Very annoying! We did order a desert at the end, an apple crisp for us all. I just wish that restaurants would not rush people so much. After we left, we noticed that the place was closing.

OK Sedona PEOPLE - WHAT IS THE DEAL? We are noticing that restaurants are closed early and this is a holiday weekend. I mean we got out of that restaurant at maybe 9:30, I mean some people eat dinner that late. Later on, you will see our just missing the restaurants who close at 9pm in Sedona and I am truly amazed by this.

So we got back and set up the computer to do some blogging and found that the Verizon card did not work in the room. OH MY GOD what am I going to do? T-Mobile did not work either. My parents have Verizon phones which did not work in the suite, Sasha with Nextel works and my phone has full bars. This makes me unsure if I want to switch to Verizon, the ongoing saga.

We went to bed a little early (for us) in very comfortable rooms with great bathrooms and full “spa-like” bath accessories - shampoo, conditioner and moisturizer. Always like to see that.
Day 2 - May 28, 2006 Sedona - Montezuma Castle, Well, and Schnebly Hill Road!
I woke up around 4:30, still not used to the time difference, probably by the time I am ready it will be time to head back. Oh well, slept very well. Being in a timeshare is different than a hotel as they do not come to clean up everyday nor do they make the beds, or clean the baths (or replenish the toiletries) but it is nicer than a hotel as there is more room - we had our own bedroom and bath (as my parents got a two bedroom 2 bath suite) plus a family room (with dining table and chairs) patio and kitchen. So we had breakfast out as we had not gotten our “provisions” and ate at The Secret Garden in Tlaquepaque. - sidebar- since I got up so early, I read for a little and then took a walk up to a gas station and got creamer and a diet dr. pepper for myself. There were no sidewalks on the road that I was on, but there were not too many people on the road either. I took some pictures of the canyon as well. -End Sidebar -

The breakfast was very nice at the Secret Garden, Mom and Dad had ate there the day before and they really liked it. Then we went back the room and got ready to go out for the first full day of adventure. We had decided to go to Montezuma Castle and Well, two National Monuments. Very cool pictures to follow.

Sasha thought he had found a road we could go on that was a shortcut to Montezuma Well - but it really was not. Actually the road dead ended at a washed out dry creek. But we got some great pictures and had a cool adventure so it was worth it.

It is amazing to see the well as it is dry all around, but not there. And it is interesting to see how the people lived during that time, and how they diverted the water. While we were going down to see the diverted water, a bus tour came by and as we were heading down, they all were coming up. We could not believe how many came up the stairs at that time - I swear there must have been about 100 people down there. Check out pictures to see area.

One of the best adventures we had that day was going to Schnebly Hill Road. I had wanted to go there as it was written up in the guide books as being the best way to see the red rocks. So we went from I-17 into Sedona. The one side is pine trees and is nice and cool and at a higher elevation, the other side is red rocks and cactus, with lower elevation and warmer. Our car was clean before we went, but not afterwards. Mom is definitely not afraid of scampering on the rocks, but Dad and I are a little afraid of heights. However, really cool picture of parents on the rocks. Sasha and I had great pictures too. (Pictures coming soon!)

Laura-n-Sasha.com = "Loves the Outdoors, with the exception to Bugs." -- Laura Jevtich of Laura-n-Sasha.com